[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: SECURITY ALERT: Password protection bug in Netscape 2.0b3

   Correct me if I'm wrong but as long as the OS protects against object
re-use, what we have here is a physical security problem.  Once we enter
that realm, all kinds of security issues come into play, spoofing, black
bag, etc.

     2
-- C  --
At 01:02 PM 12/20/95 -0800, David W. Morris wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Adam Shostack wrote:
>
>> 	Most modern OS's have some form of swapping or virtual memory.
>> Its not a good idea to assume that the contents of a multi megabyte
>> ram cache won't get to disk.
>
>Yup.  One of many reasons I think the bank's security thinking is flawed.
>But on the otherhand, one can assume that such swap/page space will be
>more difficult to examine, won't be re-used by the browser later to
>present the page (outside of the normal virual ram access), and will
>be overwritten 'soon' by other data most of the time.
>
>In the end however, to practice safe computing one must be careful where
>and how one computes. In terms of what I meant to be my primary point
>(differentiation of two motivations for caching in the UA and offering
>handling rules to minimize exposure), we don't need a long discussion about
>all the ways ones compute experience can be compromised.
>
>Dave Morris

                                        ...  __o
                                       ..   -\<,
Chris.Claborne@SanDiegoCA.ATTGIS.Com   ...(*)/(*).          CI$: 76340.2422
http://bordeaux.sandiegoca.attgis.com/
PGP Pub Key fingerprint =  7E BF 38 3F 24 A7 D1 B0  54 44 96 AA 10 D0 5D 51
Avail on Pub Key server.
PGP-encrypted e-mail welcome!